To find out about an opportunity to get some ‘pre’ driver experience in Essex in an off road environment go to:

Chelmsford Yound Driver Scheme

Colchester Young Driver Scheme

Earles Colne Young Driver Scheme

10.04.2015 Getting a provisional licence


Before you can learn to drive a car, moped or motorbike you need to get a provisional driving licence. Are you 17? (16 for mopeds) Then you can apply. Actually, you can apply up to three months before your 17th birthday so you can get going straight away.

Online You can complete the application form on the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency’s (DVLA) website. Check the site to find out what proof of ID you need to supply. You can pay the £34 with a debit or credit card. The DVLA aims to send your provisional licence in around ten days.

By post You can get a D1 application form from the Post Office. You need to provide proof of ID  (for instance, a full current passport), a passport, colour photo and £34.